being free

I like being free. I like the way it feels.

31 August 2010

amos

I've been reading Amos. Quite a book.

The book of Amos shows me what God cares about (what pleases him) and what He finds offensive (what angers him). My findings may be different than you might first think. Check em out:

What Angers God:
Injustice - v. 5:7, 12
Exploitation/oppression of the poor - v. 1:9; 2:6-7; 4:1; 5:11-12; 8:4
Violence - v. 1:3, 13; 2:1
Rejection of his law - v. 2:4
Religious hypocrisy/show - v. 3:14; 4:4-5; 5:21-23
Material indulgence - v. 2:8; 3:15; 6:3-6

What Pleases God:
Justice and righteousness for all people- v. 5:15, 24
Seeking good not evil - v. 5:14, 15
Seeking of God not religious ritual or hypocritical worship - v. 5:4-6

So, what does this mean for me?
It teaches me that following the way of God is not about religious ceremony, but about loving people and seeking justice for the oppressed. It reminds me to be mindful of what I purchase and who I purchase it from. It shows me that I should support companies and institutions that promote just, ethical and socially responsible practices. It motivates me to oppose oppressive marketing practices, corporate exploitation of the poor, child abuse, and unjust governmental law.

Amos teaches me that God is concerned with the oppressed and so should we, as Martin Luther King Jr. once so famously quoted: "But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream" Amos 5:24

1 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger Marc La Porte said...

Great insights, Todd... Makes me wanna read Amos too :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home