being free

I like being free. I like the way it feels.

17 May 2010

mobbing

I went to my first Crop Mob today!

What's a Crop Mob you ask? Here it is from the horses mouth...

"Crop mob is primarily a group of young, landless, and wannabe farmers who come together to build and empower communities by working side by side. Crop mob is also a group of experienced farmers and gardeners willing to share their knowledge with their peers and the next generation of agrarians. The membership is dynamic, changing and growing with each new mob event...

...Any crop mobber can call a crop mob to do the kind of work it takes a community to do. We work together, share a meal, play, talk, and make music. No money is exchanged. This is the stuff that communities are made of." Read more here
Today the Crop Mob was at Asheville's Green Hill Urban Farm. There were around 20 people who showed up for the event. Some were farmers, some were wannabe farmers (like myself), and others were there just to give a helping hand. We accomplished a lot and in the end were served a killer meal. I am glad I was able to take part in it.

To find out more Crop Mobbing check out the Crop Mob site.
You can also read this article in The New York Times... and this article in the Mountain Xpress - The Dirt: A Shared Harvest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home