being free

I like being free. I like the way it feels.

27 April 2010

reading luke

I have recently been reading the gospel of Luke for my morning meditation. While reading, I was struck by the power and authority of Jesus’ words. This realization caused me to see Jesus, his words, and the gospel of Luke with different eyes. It seems to me that the central theme of the gospel of Luke is the authority of Jesus’ word and teaching. His word has power and obedience to his word brings blessing. Here are the verses highlighting what I have been discovering:

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering sight to the blind, to set liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Luke 4:18-19

“And he was teaching them on the Sabbath, and they were astonished at his teaching for his word possessed authority.” Luke 4:31-32

“And they were all amazed and said to one another, “What is this word? For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out!” Luke 4:36

“he said to them, “I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns as well; for I was sent for this purpose.” Luke 4:43

“One one occasion, while the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God… And when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.” And Simon answered, “Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets.” And when they had done this, they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking.” Luke 5:1-6

“And when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and begged him, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.” And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, “I will; be clean.” And immediately the leprosy left him.” Luke 5:12-13

I say to you, rise, pick up your bed and go home. And immediately he rose up before them and picked up what he had been lying on and went home, glorifying God.” Luke 5:24-25

“After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth. And he said to him, “Follow me.” And leaving everything, he rose and followed him.” Luke 5:27-28

“And looking around at them all he said to him, “Stretch out your hand.” And he did so and his hand was restored.” Luke 6:10-11

Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.” Luke 6:46-49

Young man, I say to you, arise.” And the dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother.” Luke 7:14-15

“And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” Luke 7:48

“Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God.” Luke 8:1

“Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. The ones along the path are those who have heard. Then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. And the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believed for a while, and in time of testing fall away. And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature. As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience.” Luke 8:11-15

Take care then how you hear….” Luke 8:18

“But he answered them, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.” Luke 8:21

“And he awoke and rebuked the wind and the raging waves, and they ceased, and there was a calm. He said to them, “Where is your faith?” And they were afraid, and they marveled, saying to one another, “Who is this that he commands even winds and water, and they obey him?” Luke 8:24-25

For he commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man… Then the demons came out of the man…” Luke 8:29-33

“But taking her by the hand he called, saying, “Child, arise.” And her spirit returned, and she got up at once. And he directed that something should be given her to eat.” Luke 8:54

“For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.” Luke 9:36

“And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!” Luke 9:35

“Jesus said to his disciples, “Let these words sink into your ears: The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men.” Luke 9:44

As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!” But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!” Luke 11:27-28

From chapter 11 until chapter 22 Luke shifts from the miraculous power of Jesus word, to his instruction and teaching. In the first section Luke sets up the power and authority of Jesus’ word. The middle section presents his teaching, in light of his authority. If we obey his word/teaching will be blessed. The last section, chapter 22-24, Luke transitions to the betrayal, crucifixion and resurrection.

“Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.” Luke 21:32

“Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. And behold, I am sending the promise of My Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.” Luke 24:44-49

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home