being free

I like being free. I like the way it feels.

30 November 2010

in the name of

Recently our home church has been reading and discussing the Book of John. Two weeks ago we were reading John 16 and a good question came up about what it means to "pray in Jesus name". This is a topic I too, even after being a Christian now for sixteen years (I can't believe it has been that long!), was still unclear about. So I decided to do a study about it. Here are my gleanings.

Jesus came in the Father’s name

John 5:43 “I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not receive me. If another comes in his own name, you will receive him.”

John 10:25 “Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock.

John 17:11 “And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me.

John 14:9-11 “Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.”

Jesus came with the Father’s authority and power

John 8:28 “So Jesus said to them, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority but speak just as the Father taught me.”

John 10:17-18 “For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”

John 17:1-2 “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him.”

Luke 4:31-36 “And he went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. And he was teaching them on the Sabbath, and they were astonished at his teaching, for his word possessed authority. And in the synagogue there was a man who had the spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out with a loud voice, "Ha! What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are— the Holy One of God." But Jesus rebuked him, saying, "Be silent and come out of him!" And when the demon had thrown him down in their midst, he came out of him, having done him no harm. And they were all amazed and said to one another, "What is this word? For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out!"

Luke 5:23-25 “Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” – he said to the man who was paralyzed – “I say to you, rise, pick up your bed and go home.” And immediately he rose up before them.”

Matthew 28:18 “And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.”

Because Jesus is an authoritative power, there is authority and power in his name

Matthew 18:20 “For when two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

Luke 10:17 “The seventy-two returned with joy, saying “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!” And he said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightening from heaven. Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”

Luke 24:46-47 “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.”

John 1:12 “But to all who receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.”

John 14:26 “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.”

John 20:31 “but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.”

Acts 2:21 “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Acts 2:38 “And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized everyone one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
Acts 3:6, 16 “Peter said, “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!” And he took him by the right hand and raised him up, and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong…. And his name – by faith in his name (Jesus) – has made this man strong whom you see and know and the faith that is through Jesus have given the man his perfect health in the presence of you all.”

Acts 4:7-10 “And when they had set them in the midst, they inquired, “By what power or by what name did you do this?” Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them…. Let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead – by him this man is standing before you well.”

Acts 4:17-18 “But in order that it may spread no further among the people, let us warn them to speak no more to anyone in this name. “ So they called them and charged them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus.”

Acts 10:43 “To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives
forgiveness of sins through his name.”

Acts 16:18 “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And it (the spirit) came out that very hour.

Acts 22:16 “And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.”

1 Corinthians 1:2 “We are writing to the church of God in Corinth, you who have been called by God to be his own holy people. He made you holy by means of Christ Jesus, just as he did all Christians everywhere--whoever calls upon the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and theirs”

1 Corinthians 6:11 “But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.”

Philippians 2:9 “Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knew should bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

Hebrews 1:3-4 “He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs. For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you?”

James 5:14 “Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.”

The authority and power of Jesus has been extended to us, if that is we are in accordance with his will/word

John 18:18-20 “Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For when two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

John 14:12-14 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.”

John 15:7; 16 “If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples… You did not choose me, but I choose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

John 16:23-24 “In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.”

1 John 3:21-23 “Beloved, if your heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God; and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as he commanded us.”

1 John 5:14 “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life. And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.”

Colossians 3:17 “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Matthew 28:19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.”

Concluding Thoughts

To bear the name of Jesus as a Christian means to be his representative, as he was the representative of the Father. Jesus did the Fathers work in the Father's name. We are to do Jesus' work in Jesus' name. Jesus has extended his authority, power, and work to us, that is, if we are in alignment with his will and word. He has given us the ability to intercede directly to the Father and ask for anything that would be in accordance with his name. Praying in the name of Jesus is not a magic formula, no, it is a gift that includes us in the work of Jesus here on earth. May we bear this great privilege with wisdom and humility.

Further Study

What does it mean to pray in Jesus' name?
Praying in the Name of Jesus

1 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Blogger jsolomon said...

Would like to invite you and your friends to join me in a bible study of the New Testament at: http://newbiblestudyonline.blogspot.com. It starts from the gospel of Matthew and ends with Revelations. Each day we will cover a verse or a paragraph or a chapter. There is no set goal to achieve each day. You are welcome to leave comments on the scriptures that were covered that day. This is not a scholarly exposition of the scriptures, but only a collective reading and understanding of their meaning. The important feature is to walk together on this journey of discovery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home