being free

I like being free. I like the way it feels.

04 May 2009

we're back

We are back in the U.S. of A! And I am farming...

Today was my first day on the farm. I learned to drive an 1951 Farmall Tractor. I used it to cultivate strawberries. It was cool.

For those of you who don't know, I am volunteering at a family farm this summer. We thought it would be nice to use our transition back to the States as an opportunity to learn a new skill and also decompress from city living!

The farm I am working at is Providence Farm. I am working with young farmers who are Lindy and my age with kids our kids age. If you haven't heard, there is a bit of a renewal in small scale farming among younger people. Here are a couple articles and websites about it:

Why We Farm, A Young Farmers Manifesto
The Young and the Landless
Freshman Farmer

We are looking forward to learning some new things and hopefully someday become more self-sufficient ourselves. I am also enjoying the feeling of being worn out at the end of the day. :)

More to come soon....

4 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Glad to hear you made it back safely. I hope that the summer of farming proves to be a very rewarding experience for all of you...

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger MacRae said...

It sounds ideal, wish we could be there with you cultivating the land. It stirs up even more our dream of one day to be small scale farmers! I think this really is a great thing you have chosen to do, I hope it works out for you and the family and that you are able to persevere in achieving your dream of one day becoming small scale farmers being able to provide your own fair and healthy food. 2 Timothy 2:6 “The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops”.
Hebrews 6:7 Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.

Keep planting the seeds…the seeds of the Good News!
Have fun! Neil

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger mb said...

He, greetings from Italy!
Good to hear your enjoying yourself. Does the whole family like it? Bet Gabrian is jealous of the tractor...

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Todd said...

Hi guys. Thanks for the comments. I am enjoying myself. Lindy and the kids are in Arizona, so they haven't yet been to the farm. I am sure Gabrian will want to ride on the tractor. ;)

Next week will be chicken slaughtering time... I have been wanting to learn how do to that for many years. Can't wait.

Miss you all.

t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home