being free

I like being free. I like the way it feels.

21 May 2009

planting

Been planting... planting potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and lettuce. Here I am on the potato planter. Below that is Ryan pulling the potato planter.

After we planted the plants belonging to the Brassica family (broccoli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) we had to collar the plants. Meaning we had to put cardboard tubes (pieces of toilet paper roll) around the plants to keep the "cut worm" from getting them.

As I was placing the toilet paper rolls over the plants (I was doing this on my hands and knees for about two hours) I was thinking about spiritual metaphors.

I thought about how planting requires a person to be on their knees. Then I thought about sowing God's Word and how it requires us to be on our knees, in prayer.

I thought about the young plants susceptibility to the "cut worm". Then I thought about young Christians and young churches susceptibility to spiritual worms. Worms such as pride, disunity, unbelief, and lust.

I thought about the toilet paper rolls role as a protective barrier to the worm. Then I thought about the importance of spiritual protection. Protection such as prayer, humility, the truth of God's Word, and accountability.

Next I began to think that church plants and plants have a lot of similarities. Young plants are vulnerable to nasty pests such as the cut worm. So are young churches. For a young church to survive (even an old one) it has to be protected. Protected with an Ephesians 6 kind of protection, as well as a John 17 kind of protection, and a James 5 protection, also a Hebrews 3:12-14, and a Hebrews 12:14-16 type of protection.

As I was thinking about all this I thought it would make for a great sermon. I could entitle it "The Kingdom of God is like a Toilet Paper Roll".

1 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey Todd,Great to see you at farming! looking soo cool. Loved your methaphors. Sonja

 

Post a Comment

<< Home