being free

I like being free. I like the way it feels.

13 May 2009

impressed

I am impressed; impressed with the level of community at the farm. Neighbors help each other here. They share tools, run errands for one another, and lend a hand with personal projects. I can’t say I have ever experienced the level of neighborly care that I have witnessed here. In Amsterdam we lived in extremely close proximity to our neighbors and yet people stayed to themselves. Neighbors did not talk to each other much or even acknowledge one another. Here, neighbors live quite a bit apart from one another, yet they stop by for a chat, offer help with a task, or stop to see how things are going. It's a beautiful thing. It’s a real community.

I am also impressed with the bartering. The people in the area barter for all kinds of stuff. They barter for their marketing, farm work, mechanical work, pickled products, and baby sitting. And I am sure there is more. The community trades their services for other services and it works. It’s an alternate economy. I am impressed.

3 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger MacRae said...

If it wasn’t for the community aspect of farming in the long run I could understand how farming may become monotonous and tiring, however thank goodness that a large part of small scale farming is to do with providing for and working with the local community! I’m sure farming is already fun to learn but experiencing that level of community involvement must add so much more fun and joy to the experience. I think this type of community involvement is what a lot of people would like to experience more off – certainly I feel like that is what I want to do more of!:-)
P.S. I’m looking forward to seeing that Greenhorns documentary when it comes out…

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Todd said...

Thanks for the post Neil! The community here is quite amazing...

I to am looking forward to the Greenhorns doc. ;)

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Eric said...

You know, I have a theory on all this... Something along the lines of: The familiarity of neighbors is inversely proportionate to the distance between their homes. I tried writing it up in a blog post last summer (http://www.ericasp.com/blog.php/2008/05/26/amateur-sociology). But all that to say -- having lived in both urban and rural settings, I can totally affirm your observations! Interesting, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home